Divine Providence Village marked its 30th anniversary of serving women with mental disabilities with a Mass celebrated by Auxiliary Bishop Timothy Senior and Msgr. Richard Bolger on Sunday, Sept. 21, during which the women’s bell choir provided music. Prior to Mass during a remembrance service, candles were lighted for staff and residents of Divine Providence Village who had died. Following Mass residents, family and staff gathered under the pavilion for dinner.
Divine Providence Village traces its roots to St. Mary’s Center in Elverson, a residence for young women with mental retardation founded by the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence in 1948. The program assumed the name of Divine Providence Village when it moved to its current Springfield, Delaware County campus in 1984, where six community-style cottages house 16 women each. Ninety-six residents with mild to severe developmental disabilities receive 24-hour nursing supervision, personal care assistance and individualized programs of physical, occupational, speech and behavioral therapy. Many women have lived at the facility for over a decade, enjoying daily Catholic religious services in a campus chapel and a full range of recreational and social activities. (Photos by Sarah Webb)