By Msgr. Hugh Shields
Special to The CS&T
As we prepare to enter the holy season of Lent, the refrain from the distribution of ashes on Ash Wednesday, “Turn away from sin and believe the Good News,” echoes in the hearts of many.
The twofold direction of energies becomes clear as we contemplate these phrases:(1)Turn away from sin. This demonstrates the very real need of all of us to recognize that we are capable, with the grace and love of God, to leave behind the sinful ways and move forward with our lives. We can “turn away!”
(2) And believe in the Good News. This is a call to “believe” in a manner that manifests in a change, a difference, in our daily lives. In the “belief” comes the realization that we are free, thanks to God’s unlimited, boundless love. Free to leave behind jealously, injustice and mean-spiritedness; caustic, judgmental remarks that wound; and additions that rob us of life. The “belief” helps us to truly believe in (and show) the liberating Good News of the Gospel.
As we enter the holy season of Lent, as we are signed with the ashes proclaiming our faith in the love of Christ, it is fair to ask ourselves: How many of our family members, friends, co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances and others will be able to feel the loving and freeing invitation and challenge to “turn away from sin and believe in the Good News” by our presence in their lives this Lent?
Will the message of the ashes be evident in my lifestyle throughout the Lenten season?
Or will the message disappear with the first washing?
Hopefully, many will feel the message of our ashes throughout the Lenten season!
Msgr. Hugh Shields is the Vicar for Hispanic Catholics of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
Help us keep you informed -- CatholicPhilly.com can't do it without youDuring CatholicPhilly.com's fall donation campaign, you have a way to help us deliver the kind of news you need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live. Every household's costs keep rising, and we're no different. We make sure your dollars in any amount go a long way toward continuing our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month. Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can -- a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Or by credit card here: