“Little Drummer Boy” is one of my favorite Christmas songs. It is about a little poor boy who is called to provide a gift for the newborn King (Jesus) as he rests with Mary and some farm animals.
Since he does not own any “finest gifts” to bring the infant, he asks Mary for permission to play his drum for the baby. Mary says yes, he plays and the child smiles at him. The song is about humility.
Before God we are poor little boys and girls. We lack any fine gifts to bring to Jesus except humility, trust, hope and love.
During Advent remember, and tell your children, Jesus is God’s Christmas gift to us. Our response of faith and love for others is our little gift to God.
In that spirit of remembrance, keep in mind these seven ways your Christmas spirit can be hijacked:
- Shopping until you are tired, angry, frustrated and in serious debt.
- Being absorbed into a culture that often seems afraid to mention the word “Christmas.”
- Thinking material gifts are more important than consistent love, presence, friendship, mercy, support and kindness.
- Using a sacred and wonderful event as an excuse to overindulge.
- Forgetting the celebration of Christmas is about the joy, hope and grace God offers us each year we remember the birth of Jesus.
- Presuming Jesus did not come to save you from sin, despair and death itself.
- Not opening the doors of your soul, heart, mind and will to the spirit of almighty God revealed in the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
Finding hope and a meaningful life in Jesus is why we celebrate his birth.
Father Joseph M. Corley is pastor of Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Darby.
In a time to build, CatholicPhilly.com connects people and communities
As society emerges from the loss and separation of the pandemic, CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you join in our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103