Following several deadly attacks on Christians in Pakistan, St. William Parish will host a prayer vigil on Saturday, April 21 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in its lower church, located at 6200 Rising Sun Avenue in Philadelphia.
As the home of area Pakistani Catholics, St. William feels a special connection with believers in Pakistan, who have long suffered for their faith in the risen Lord. Several recent attacks have been condemned by the bishops of Pakistan:
- In December 2017, two suicide bombers killed nine people and wounded over a dozen at a Quetta church packed with worshippers.
- Just after Easter Sunday 2018, a Christian family of five was shot by men claiming to be members of ISIS. Four were killed; a young girl survived with injuries.
- On April 15, 2018, gunmen opened fire on a group of Christians standing near a church. Two men were killed; three other individuals, including a woman and a child, were injured.
The parish’s 5 p.m. Vigil Mass, which will precede the prayer vigil, will also be offered for Christians in Pakistan.
For more information, call the rectory at (215) 745-1389 or visit www.churchofstwilliam.com.
Help us keep you informed -- CatholicPhilly.com can't do it without youDuring CatholicPhilly.com's fall donation campaign, you have a way to help us deliver the kind of news you need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live. Every household's costs keep rising, and we're no different. We make sure your dollars in any amount go a long way toward continuing our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month. Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can -- a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Or by credit card here: