Brother Harold V. Horne died Nov. 11, 2018, at the Society Center, Maryknoll, N.Y. He was 91 years old and a Maryknoll Brother for 62 years.

John Joseph Horne Jr. was born Oct. 19, 1927, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, son of John and Agnes Donnelly Horne. He had one brother, Edward, and one sister, Agnes, both deceased. Joseph attended Immaculate Conception Grammar School and Northeast Catholic High School, both in Philadelphia.

He served in the U.S. Navy from May 1945 until August 1946 and then completed his high school education, graduating in December 1946. He entered Maryknoll on Sept. 27, 1954, from Immaculate Conception Parish in Philadelphia and took the religious name Harold.


Brother Harold took his first oath on June 29, 1956, and was assigned to the Development Department in Brookline, Mass. In 1959, he was assigned to the Maryknoll Seminary in Glen Ellyn, Ill., and remained there until 1962 when he was assigned to Hong Kong to work with the refugees from mainland China. He taught and administered in the schools set up by the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, which provided an opportunity to contact parents and families and introduce them to the Catholic faith.

He returned to the U.S. in 1969 and received a Bachelor of Science degree in education from Rogers College in 1971. In 1973, he was assigned to work at Mission St. Teresa’s, Maryknoll’s retirement and convalescent residence. While working there, he completed courses in geriatrics and psychotherapy.

In 1976 he moved to the New York City House and completed a two-year course in clinical pastoral counseling at the Lutheran Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. He also received a master’s of professional studies from New York Theological Seminary in 1978. Brother Harold returned to his work at Mission St. Teresa’s until 1981 when he was again assigned to the Development Department working this time in Philadelphia.

Brother Harold was assigned to Japan in 1985 where he worked with the outcasts of Japanese society, including drug addicts and alcoholics. A rehabilitation center was set up in Kyoto and support groups were established throughout Kyoto and surrounding areas.

In 1995, Brother Harold was again assigned to the United States and appointed director of the Brothers Formation Program. In January 2000, he was assigned to the Taiwan Region and began working in Taipei with Japanese people suffering with alcohol dependency.

He was appointed Fourth Regional Assistant for the Taiwan Region in October 2003. In 2015, he returned to the United States and took up residence at the Maryknoll Society Center.

Brother Harold is survived by four nieces and one nephew.

His body was donated to science at New York Medical College in Valhalla. A Memorial Mass was celebrated Dec. 28 at Queen of the Apostles Chapel at Maryknoll.