Sister Eleanor Francis Filist, O.S.F., died Nov. 25 in Assisi House, Aston. She was 95.
She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 73 years. Sister Eleanor Francis (Helen Bertha Filist) was born in Philadelphia where she was a member of St. Ladislaus Parish and a graduate of John W. Hallahan Catholic Girls High School. She entered the congregation in 1938 and professed her first vows in 1940. She earned a B.S. in business education in 1955 from Marywood College in Scranton.
Sister Eleanor Francis ministered primarily in education and especially in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, where she served for nearly 50 years. She taught at Resurrection School in Chester (1944-1946), Hallahan High School (1946-1947, 1949-1957, 1972-1985), and St. Stanislaus School in Lansdale (1947-1949). At St. Mary School in Schwenksville she served as a librarian and secretary (1985-1987).
From 1990-2011 she volunteered at Assisi House, the congregation’s retirement residence in Aston, first as a sacristan and later as a mobile librarian. In 2011 she became a resident of Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Additional ministry experiences included teaching at Holy Ghost School in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, (1939-1944); St. Stephen School, Baltimore (1957-1961); and at McCorristin High School, Trenton, New Jersey, (1965-1972). Sister Eleanor Francis also ministered for seven years in Barranquitas, Puerto Rico. She taught at Monsenor Willinger Academy in Barranquita (1961-1965) and did catechetical and clerical work at Santa Maria de los Angeles (1987-1990).
Sister Eleanor Francis’ funeral Mass will be celebrated Monday, Dec. 2 at noon, preceded by a wake service and viewing at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady of Angels Convent Chapel, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Eleanor Francis is survived by her nieces, nephews, cousins and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.