The Delaware County parish merged with and became a worship site of St. George Parish last summer. With attendance dwindling to about 60 people for Sunday Mass, it was discontinued at Holy Spirit after the last Mass there Sunday, Jan. 11, the Solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord. Fitting, then, that two baptisms of children were celebrated afterward at St. George using holy water from Holy Spirit. Read the full story here. (Photos by Sarah Webb)
Holy Spirit was founded in 1892 in Sharon Hill, Delaware County. Its most famous alumnus was Cardinal John Foley. The parish merged with St. George last July and hosted a Sunday Mass until Jan. 11. The church remains a worship site of St. George Parish.
Father Leo Oswald, pastor of St. George Parish, celebrates Sunday Mass for the last time at Holy Spirit Church.
Father Leo Oswald and parishioners fill bottles of holy water from the baptismal font of Holy Spirit Church after Mass Jan. 11. Parishioners transported the bottles to St. George Church and poured the water into the font of that church for use in baptisms.
Family, friends and fellow parishioners participate in the baptismal rite, led by Father Oswald.