Permanent Deacon Thomas Woods

Deacon Thomas J. Woods, 81, a retired permanent deacon of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, died Dec. 16 from complications related to cancer.

He was born in New York City and his family moved to Narberth when he was a child. He was one of two sons of Thomas and Mary Woods. His mother died when he was 10 years old and his father died four years later. He was raised by his paternal uncle and aunt, and raised with his three cousins, Suzanne, Catherine and Theresa.

Deacon Woods was a graduate of St. Thomas More High School and Villanova University, where he received a BS degree in economics in 1958. He was employed for more than 25 years as a sales associate for the Campbell Soup Company. Following his retirement Deacon Woods was employed for five years as the business manager at St. Anastasia Parish, Newtown Square.

Deacon Woods was ordained a permanent deacon by Bishop Edward P. Cullen on June 5, 1994, at the Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul. He was assigned to Sacred Heart Parish, Havertown, until his retirement in January 2013.

Deacon Woods is survived by his wife of 56 years, Mary Sheridan Woods; his children Thomas, James, Michael and Mary; eight grandchildren Kerry, Kathleen, Claire, James, Bridget, Michael, Lauren, Megan; his brother Dennis and cousins Suzanne, Catherine, and Theresa.

The funeral Mass was celebrated Dec. 22 by Bishop Timothy C. Senior at Sacred Heart Parish, Havertown. The homilist was Msgr. Henry J. McKee. The deacon assisting at the Liturgy of the Word was Deacon John J. Suplee. The deacon assisting at the altar was Deacon George E. Morris.

Interment was at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken.