* A new daily Mass chapel was blessed at St. Martin of Tours Church, Philadelphia, in January.
* The Archdiocese announced that it intends to build two new high schools. Pope John Paul II High School in Upper Providence Township, Montgomery County, which is projected to be completed by 2010, and the new Lansdale Regional Catholic High School to be completed in Hilltown, Bucks County, by 2012.
* St. Mary Magdalen Church in Media completed its new $9.1 million complex. The church features beautiful altars and stained glass windows from closed archdiocesan parishes. Cardinal Rigali blessed the complex in April.
* In May, St. Philip Neri, Lafayette Hill, opened a $5 million parish center that includes a new gymnasium.
* In June, a new playground for St. Luke the Evangelist, Glenside, opened.
* The tabernacle at Sacred Heart Church, Royersford, was relocated to the center of the sanctuary in August.
* At St. Helena School, Blue Bell, the Cardinal blessed a $1.5 million addition in September.
* Also in 2008: a $13 million education center at Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish in Limerick; a multi-purpose center featuring a gymnasium at St. Ephrem Parish, Bensalem; a chapel and parish center at St. John Fisher Parish, Boothwyn; and a parish center at Mother of spanine Providence, King of Prussia. Drexel Neumann Academy in Chester built a new playground and renovations were completed at St. Catherine of Siena Church, Horsham, including a new vestibule and marble altar consecrated by Cardinal Rigali.
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103