See the daily excerpt from the preparatory catechesis for the 2015 World Meeting of Families, “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive.”
196. Catholics, then, have strategies and precedents for living the faith in a world which does not understand their beliefs or agree with them. If our way of life is different from the world’s, we nevertheless have a firm hope and a clear mind, “a plan bigger than our own ideas and undertakings, a plan which sustains us and enables us to surrender our future entirely to the one we love.” We have a firm foundation for independence from destructive forces in society and culture, and it is this same foundation which orients us to love and participation in society and culture. The “love which moves the sun and the other stars,” the love which created and sustains all that is, is the same love which animates our marriages, our families, our homes, and our Church. We can be confident that if we follow this love, even to the foot of the cross, our sufferings are actually making us more real, more authentically human, and that resurrection and vindication are coming, because we are following a trustworthy Lord. This love will give us the fortitude to live distinctively, as salt of the earth.
In its introduction, the document says its aim is to present “Catholic teaching in a way that is fresh, insightful, and accessible to contemporary Catholics and all people of good will.” The catechesis “offers a narrative beginning with our creation, soberly noting our fall and the challenges we face, but emphasizing God’s plan for our salvation. Love is our mission, and it is by loving God and one another that we will be fully alive.”
Each day in CatholicPhilly.com’s World Meeting of Families section you can reflect on the official Catholic teaching on the family presented in the catechesis, pray a special prayer together as a family or individually, and stay on top of breaking news about the events coming Sept. 22-27, 2015.
Order the catechesis for your home via Our Sunday Visitor, and visit WorldMeeting2015.org for more information on the events.
Sign up for our newsletter so you won’t miss any development about the 2015 World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia.
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
PREVIOUS: Major Vatican artwork coming to Philadelphia in September
NEXT: Today’s teaching on the family
Share this story