Since it began in 1994, the World Meeting of Families has sought to strengthen the sacred bonds of family across the globe. This event takes place every three years and is sponsored by the Holy See’s Pontifical Council for the Family.
The Pontifical Council for the Family:
The Pontifical Council for the Family, founded by Blessed Pope John Paul II in 1981, is responsible for the promotion of the Church’s pastoral ministry to the family, with the goal of helping Christian families fulfill their apostolic mission as the “domestic church” and fundamental building bloc of society. This Council promotes the pastoral care of families and fosters their rights and dignity in the Church as well as civil society in order that they may fulfill their vocation for the well-being of one another and the world around them.
Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia, Bishop Jean Laffitte and Msgr. Carlos Simón Vázquez are respectively president, secretary and under-secretary of this council. The council includes a staff of 10 officials and consists of 15 cardinals, 12 archbishops and bishops, as well as 19 married couples from all over the world and 39 consultors.
Beginning with the 1994 Year of the Family, the council has been responsible for organizing the World Meeting of Families in: Rome (1994); Rio de Janeiro (1997); Rome (2000); Manila (2003); Valencia (2006); Mexico City (2009); Milan (2012); and now, Philadelphia (2015).
Highlights of the 2012 World Meeting of Families:
* 1,000,000 participants at Mass with Pope Benedict XVI in Bresso, Italy on June 3, 2012
* 350,000 participants at the Feast of Testimonies on June 2, 2012
* 200,000 people welcoming the Holy Father to Milan
* 5,300 volunteers for the World Meeting of Families (May 30 to June 3, 2012)
* 153 nations represented in Milan, Italy for the Seventh World Meeting of Families
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103