ROME (CNS) — Migrants rescued from the Mediterranean were taken to shore in Malta Jan. 9 after being kept at sea while European nations argued over who was responsible for them.
Pope Francis had issued a public plea Jan. 6 for European governments to demonstrate “concrete solidarity” with the 32 migrants rescued Dec. 22 and 17 others rescued Dec. 29.
The 49 people, including several children, were rescued by boats operated by the Germany-based Sea-Watch humanitarian organization.
Joseph Muscat, prime minister of Malta, announcing that the migrants would be transferred to Maltese military boats and brought ashore, said Jan. 9, “Malta, the smallest European Union state, is once again being called upon to shoulder responsibilities way beyond its remit.”
The rescues performed by the boats Sea-Watch 3 and Albrecht Penck “took place outside Malta’s area of responsibility,” he said. “We were not the responsible authority, and we were not the nearest safe port of call.”
Italy refused to allow the boats to dock or to transfer the migrants to an Italian military ship, and the humanitarian organization refused to hand the migrants over to the coast guard of Libya, where they had boarded boats hoping to reach Europe.
Muscat said Malta should not have to provide for the 49 migrants when, in the past few weeks, it had “unilaterally rescued a further 249 persons at sea whose lives were clearly in danger.”
An agreement, he said, had been reached with eight other European countries to relocate the 49 migrants rescued by Sea-Watch and 131 of those rescued by Malta.
The countries accepting migrants, he said, are: Germany, France, Portugal, Ireland, Romania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Italy.
However, while Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Italy would accept some of the migrants, Matteo Salvini, the country’s deputy minister and minister of the interior, insisted that would not happen.
“I am and remain absolutely opposed to new arrivals in Italy,” Salvini tweeted. “I will continue to work to expel the already too numerous illegals already present.”
Speaking at a news conference in Warsaw, Poland, Salvini said he would clarify the agreement with Conte. But “whether it’s eight or 88 migrants, I will not authorize any of them to enter Italy.”
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
PREVIOUS: Be a devotee of Black Nazarene, not a fanatic, says Cardinal Tagle
NEXT: Vatican leaps into the world of sports
Share this story