Philadelphia Catholics and pro-life supporters will gather at a Rally for Religious Freedom to voice their concerns regarding the HHS Mandate which Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., has called, “flawed and dangerous.”
Friday, March 23, 2012
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Independence Hall, 500 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia
On January 20, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) reaffirmed a rule that virtually all private health care plans must cover sterilization, abortion-causing drugs, and contraception.
The exemption provided for “religious employers” is so narrow that it failed to cover the vast majority of faith-based organizations-including Catholic hospitals, universities, and charities-that help millions of people every year regardless of their faith. As Archbishop Chaput stated in his February 17th online column, “It’s not a ‘compromise’ and it needs to be rescinded.”
Important Facts about the HHS Mandate
• The mandate does not exempt Catholic charities, schools, universities, or hospitals.
• The mandate forces these institutions and others, against their conscience, to pay for things they consider immoral.
• The mandate forces coverage of sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs and devices as well as contraception.
In a time of crisis CatholicPhilly.com keeps the information flowing
During the current coronavirus crisis, you can help CatholicPhilly.com deliver the kind of news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live ― every day.
Budgets are tight at this time, and CatholicPhilly's is no different than those of most families. We make sure your donation in any amount will go a long way toward continuing our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103