LOURDES, France (CNS) — French police and military officials have launched a special security operation for the country’s national pilgrimage to Lourdes, following the killing of a Catholic parish priest in a spate of terrorist attacks.
Up to 30,000 Catholics are expected to join the national pilgrimage, led by Cardinal Philippe Barbarin of Lyon. The pilgrimage will include services and processions at 22 churches and chapels over the 128-acre site and culminate in Aug. 15 Masses for the feast of the Assumption.
Mathias Terrier, information director of the Diocese of Tarbes and Lourdes, said Catholic representatives had agreed to the new arrangements in cooperation with local authorities and security services. He said the “discreet but effective” measures could remain in place indefinitely at the Marian shrine.
“It’s our duty and responsibility to take account of the complicated current context by ensuring pilgrims are well received,” he said in a televised statement. “We have the experience and capacity to manage the necessary logistics.
“We’ve been very much affected, collectively, by what’s happened,” he said. “This is a time when great numbers of people arrive from around the world — and security is clearly essential if we’re to welcome them calmly.
“This is a place of serenity, peace and prayer — and it will remain so, whatever happens,” he added.
Lourdes, close to the Pyrenees mountains, attracts around 5 million visitors annually and has been a place of pilgrimage since 1858, when 14-year-old St. Bernadette Soubirous experienced the first of 18 visions of the Virgin Mary.
More than 7,000 miracles have been claimed at the shrine, which is famed as a place of healing. Sixty-eight cures have been confirmed as scientifically inexplicable by its International Medical Committee.
Beatrice Lagarde, an official of the prefecture of Hautes-Pyrenees, said there were no plans to cancel the national pilgrimage and that changes had been kept to a minimum.
In a website statement, the Lourdes shrine said available access routes had been restricted from 12 to three and advised pilgrims to arrive early for the weekend events.
The increased security follows a July 14 truck attack on Bastille Day celebrations in Nice and the July 26 murder of Father Jacques Hamel, 85, in a church in northern France.
In a time of crisis CatholicPhilly.com keeps the information flowing
During the current coronavirus crisis, you can help CatholicPhilly.com deliver the kind of news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live ― every day.
Budgets are tight at this time, and CatholicPhilly's is no different than those of most families. We make sure your donation in any amount will go a long way toward continuing our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103