VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The Vatican’s highest court cleared a Vatican official accused of the crime of solicitation in the confessional.
The court, the Apostolic Signature, the Vatican’s highest court, said May 17 that it finished an “administrative penal process” of Father Hermann Geissler, an official at the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, who had been accused of “a grave delict.”
Five court members convened May 15, it said in a communique, and “acquitted the defendant” because the “configuration” or appearance of the alleged crime was not “proven with the moral certitude necessary after a careful examination of the affair.”
Father Geissler, who has publicly maintained his innocence, had resigned from his job in an effort “to limit the damage already done to the congregation and to his community” and asked that a “canonical process already initiated continue,” the doctrinal office said Jan. 29.
However, the Vatican court carried out an administrative penal process, which is quicker and shorter than a full judicial process; normally the accused is often presented with the evidence and given an opportunity for self-defense, but there is no trial and no witnesses are called.
Father Geissler had been accused of a serious delict against the sanctity of the sacrament of penance — the solicitation to sin with the confessor against the sixth commandment. Such serious cases are under the authority of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, but the Apostolic Signature was asked to handle the case, presumably to avoid the potential conflict of interest.
Father Geissler, a 53-year-old theologian, is a member of a community called The Spiritual Family The Work. He had worked at the congregation for 25 years and had been head of its doctrinal section since 2009.
Doris Wagner-Reisinger, a German theologian, told the National Catholic Reporter Jan. 21 that, with the help of a canon lawyer, she reported to doctrinal congregation officials in 2014 that the priest had propositioned her in 2009 during confession.
She told NCR that, after her accusation, “I got a response that stated that Father Geissler had admitted, and had asked pardon, and was admonished.”
She had talked about the unwanted encounter at a November event in Rome, which featured three women survivors of clergy sexual abuse.
Without naming the priest involved, she had told her audience about the sexual harassment she experienced from the priest who had been her confessor when she was a nun with The Spiritual Family The Work.
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
PREVIOUS: Pope assures missionaries of his prayers for kidnapped priest
NEXT: Fight fake news with humble search for truth, pope tells journalists
Share this story