St. Joachim Cemetery, which dates back to 1848, serves as the final resting place for more than 2,400 souls, most of them Irish-Catholic immigrants. (Photo courtesy of Joseph Taylor)

The Friends of St. Joachim Cemetery will host a tour and clean-up session at the historic graveyard on Saturday, Aug. 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

With its first burial dating back to 1848, the cemetery is the final resting place of over 2,400 souls, most of whom were Irish-Catholic immigrants and their families from all sections of Philadelphia. In 2013, St. Joachim merged with Holy Innocents Parish, which now maintains the cemetery’s records.

Volunteers are also needed at the Aug. 17 gathering to help in removing excess tree branches and trimming back overgrown bushes.

Water and pretzels will be provided for all.

St. Joachim Cemetery is located behind St. Joachim Church at 1527 Church Street in Philadelphia.

For information about the event and about the Friends of St. Joachim Cemetery, contact Joe Taylor at

The Friends of St. Joachim Cemetery is a subcommittee of Keep the Faith in Frankford, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, and Holy Innocents Parish.