BROOKLYN, N.Y. (CNS) — A federal judge in Brooklyn Feb. 9 permanently blocked New York state capacity limits for worship at Orthodox synagogues in areas with high rates of COVID-19 infections.
The permanent injunction applies to all of the houses of worship in these areas in the state and is one of the first in the country to stop percentage-of-occupancy limits on worship attendance.
Last year, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo placed restrictions on indoor worship services in areas with high COVID-19 rates to 10 people in the most affected areas and 25 people in slightly less affected areas.
In her five-page order, U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto reversed a decision she made last October when she rejected the lawsuit filed by Jewish leaders who claimed the congregation size limits were unconstitutional. In her ruling, she cited a Feb. 5 Supreme Court decision that ordered California to allow indoor worship services to resume during the pandemic.
Eric Rassbach, vice president and senior counsel at Becket, a religious liberty law firm, said in a Feb. 9 statement that Matsumoto’s order is “good news for the synagogues, churches and other houses of worship of New York.”
In the initial lawsuit, Jewish leaders argued the governor’s restrictions were specifically impacting members of their faith during their religious holidays. In a separate case, the Diocese of Brooklyn said the congregation capacity limits violated Catholics’ religious freedom since the state was allowing businesses in the same areas to continue as usual.
The two cases went to the U.S. Supreme Court in November where the justices in a 5-4 ruling said Cuomo’s restrictions singled out “houses of worship for especially harsh treatment.” The high court granted synagogue and church leaders’ requests for a court order against enforcement of the limitations pending the outcome of a decision by the federal appeals court in Manhattan, which sent the case back to Matsumoto Dec. 28.
Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio said in a statement after the Supreme Court’s decision that he was gratified by the ruling and “proud to be leading the Diocese of Brooklyn and fighting for our sacred and constitutional right to worship.”
At the time, Cuomo said the ruling did not have practical impact since the worship restrictions had already been removed since the places of worship for both groups were in an area where COVID-19 rates had decreased so there were fewer restrictions.
Join the CatholicPhilly.com family
CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you and hundreds of other people become part of our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community and sustain CatholicPhilly.com as your trusted news source. Thank you in advance!
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
PREVIOUS: CUA students object to pro-life speaker, call her comments ‘hate speech’
NEXT: Like Amazon, students should deliver the good news fast, bishop says at SEEK21
Share this story