A complete obituary will appear in the March 17 print edition of The Catholic Standard and Times.
Father James J. Murphy, pastor emeritus of St. Bridget Parish in the East Falls section of Philadelphia and a former assistant editor of The Catholic Standard and Times, died Monday, March 7, 2011 at St. Francis Country House in Darby, Delaware County.
He was 92 years old.
Father Murphy was ordained a priest Feb. 24, 1945 at the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul in Philadelphia.
In June 1973, he was appointed pastor of St. Bridget Parish and named pastor emeritus there in June 1991.
Cardinal Justin Rigali celebrated Father Murphy’s funeral Mass Thursday, March 10 at Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Darby, Delaware County.
Interment was at Calvary Cemetery in West Conshohocken, Montgomery County.
– CS&T Staff Writer Christie L. Chicoine may be reached at 215-587-2468 or email@example.com.
In a time to build, CatholicPhilly.com connects people and communities
As society emerges from the loss and separation of the pandemic, CatholicPhilly.com works to strengthen the connections between people, families and communities every day by delivering the news people need to know about the Catholic Church, especially in the Philadelphia region, and the world in which we live.
By your donation in any amount, you join in our mission to inform, form in the Catholic faith and inspire the thousands of readers who visit every month.
Here is how you can help:
- A $100 gift allows us to present award-winning photos of Catholic life in our neighborhoods.
- A $50 gift enables us to cover a news event in a local parish, school or Catholic institution.
- A $20 gift lets us obtain solid faith formation resources that can deepen your spirituality and knowledge of the faith.
- A small, automated monthly donation means you can support us continually and easily.
Won't you consider making a gift today?
Please join in the church's vital mission of communications by offering a gift in whatever amount that you can ― a single gift of $40, $50, $100, or more, or a monthly donation. Your gift will strengthen the fabric of our entire Catholic community.
Make your donation by credit card here:
Or make your donation by check:
222 N. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103