Sister Marcella Francis Milhouse, O.S.F.
Sister Marcella Francis Milhouse, O.S. F., died May 9, 2009. She was 63. She was a professed member of the Sisters of the St. Francis for 43 years. She was born in Chester and graduated from Notre Dame High School in Moylan. She earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Neumann College, a master’s degree in education from Millersville University and a master’s degree in professional studies from Loyola University in New Orleans. She was an elementary and secondary school teacher in the Archdioceses of Philadelphia and Baltimore and the diocese of Wilmington and Raleigh. In her spare time, she enjoyed all outdoor activities, studying, dancing and singing. She ministered in the after-care program and worked with the Meals on Wheels program at St. Anthony’s community center in Wilmington. A funeral Mass was celebrated May 13 at St. Anthony Church in Wilmington. Interment followed at Our Lady of Angels Cemetery. She is survived by her aunt and uncle, her nieces and her Franciscan family.
Sister Frances McCort, S.H.C.J
Sister Frances McCort, S.H.C.J., died of heart failure May 11, 2009, at the Holy Child Center. She was 88. She was born in Philadelphia and graduated from West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Girls in 1939. She entered the Society of the Holy Child Jesus the following September. During that time, she earned a bachelor’s degree in education and a master’s degree in education from Villanova University. She became well known by her former religious name, Mother Philip Neri. She taught for several years in Philadelphia, Portland and New York. In 1955, a life-long dream of hers came true when she was missioned to Africa. For more than two decades, she served in Africa, supervising primary schools and teaching teachers in Nigeria. The Biafran war forced her to return to the states in 1968. After a preparatory course for directors of formation, she returned to Africa in 1969 but this time to Ghana. From 1970 to 1973, she was in charge of the formation program and worked with young African women who were studying to become Sisters of the Infant Jesus congregation. She spent a few more years teaching in Ghana and then returned to Nigeria to serve as secretary to the vicar. During her journey in Africa she visited women in prison and patients with tuberculosis and leprosy who lived alone. She felt in the latter stage of her work she saw the face of Jesus in His passion. Her years in West Africa ended in 1982. A funeral Mass was celebrated May 15 in the New Sharon Chapel. Interment followed at Calvary Cemetery. She is survived by numerous nieces, nephews, grandnieces, grandnephews and her religious community.